Fifteenth Meeting: September 17-18, 2009
Secretary’s Advisory Committee on
National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives for 2020
Fifteenth Meeting: September 17-18, 2009
- Operationalize recommendations for interfacing between ARRA Prevention & Wellness funds and Healthy People 2020. (None opposed.)
Committee Decisions (by Consensus)
- The Committee will use the phrase, “Social and physical environmental determinants” in future documents.
- Specific recommendations should be developed for what communities should do when there is no evidence on how best to address a particular issue or problem, but people feel compelled to act.
- The Committee’s paper on selecting evidence-based actions should be revised to address equity issues, including the issue of quality-adjusted life-years (or QALYs).
- Investigate the possibility of a presentation by Committee leaders to the Domestic Policy Council (after health reform has passed) on the social determinants approach/Health in All Policies (HiAP)/Health Impact Assessment (HIA)
- Explore the possibility of an international representative for the Committee
- Consider including a representative of the Office of Management and Budget on the FIW
- Consider inviting Michael Marmot and/or David Satcher to speak with the Committee about addressing social determinants
- Revisit FACA regulations regarding outreach to the press
- Revise terminology in the draft social determinants document from “societal determinants” to “social and physical environmental determinants”
- Re-circulate the report on barriers to implementing HP2010 that was produced by NORC at the request of the Committee
- Update information from Phase I report and incorporate the concepts into a PowerPoint presentation that can be available to all Committee members and distributed to state HP Coordinators
- Develop a paper that outlines issues related to developing indicators for social determinans and examines whether a smaller set of indicators is needed for HP2020
- Develop and circulate a summary of which subcommittees have completed their current tasks
Subcommittees to be Formed / Renewed
- Subcommittee on Strategic Communications (Douglas Evans, Chair)
- Subcommittee on Implementation (Eva Moya, Adewale Troutman, Co-chairs)
- Subcommittee on Priorities (David Meltzer, Abby King, Co-chairs)
- Subcommittee on HP2020 Data and IT (Ronald Manderscheid, Chair)
- Ad Hoc group on Social Determinants (Abby King, Chair)
- Abby King, Shiriki Kumanyika, Adewale Troutman, Lisa Iezzoni
- Ad Hoc group on Evidence (TBD)
Day 1: September 17, 2009
I. Introduction and Welcome
9:00 AM – 9:05 AM
RADM Penelope Slade-Sawyer, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health (Disease Prevention and Health Promotion) reviewed meeting ground rules under the Federal Advisory Committee Act. She introduced Dr. Howard Koh, Assistant Secretary for Health, HHS.
II. Swearing In Ceremony
9:05 AM - 9:20 AM
Dr. Koh thanked the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP) for their leadership and commitment to Healthy People. He welcomed the members of the Secretary’s Advisory Committee (Appendix A) and expressed gratitude for their service to the nation. He reflected on the role of the Healthy People process, which is now 30 years old. It was started by former Surgeon General Julius Richmond, who was deeply concerned with planning for the health of the nation. Dr. Richmond passed away last year, but his legacy lives on; the Committee is a part of that legacy. Dr. Koh commented on the nearness of health reform and a renewed emphasis on prevention. There is an opportunity to restore balance to the health care system so that it promotes wellness and does not just treat illness. This will require acting on the social determinants of health, particularly through a Health in All Policies approach.
He announced that ODPHP will be holding three Healthy People 2020 regional meetings in the fall, in Kansas City, Seattle, and Philadelphia. He introduced each of the Committee members individually, and invited them to come forward to be officially sworn in. All present members recited the oath together with Dr. Koh. (Dr. Remington and Dr. Troutman participated via telephone conference call.) He commended the group for their impressive achievements and turned the meeting over to Dr. Jonathan Fielding, Committee Chair.
III. Expectations and Desired Outcomes of the Meeting
9:20 AM – 9:45 AM